The Dream of Connecting Myself to...The World

      I have been wondering what Web 2. 0 is since the day I enrolled in the course of EME 6414. Well, on and off. 
       The most interesting thing for having a new course here in the US is what I do during the first week. Mostly nothing, for any course. I just get the gist, and then let my mind wonder where it wants to go, or where it is led by the course introduction, the professor's presentation, or any triggers for my reminiscences. It is the most interesting week (not necessarily the most productive, in some sense), because I enjoy the initial reflection triggered just by a name, a term, or a vague idea. I hope I could have written down all my thoughts for the last four years, like I ma doing now. 
      I am now a mid-aged woman, knowing about little and using little Web 2.0 tools, not eager to know a lot, nervous to use the tools, feeling overwhelmed with any new technology.  
     I had dreams, when I was younger. I had a best friend, who I hung out with all day. But we had to go back to our own homes, and we could not share the wild thoughts together. I dreamed that we could have device that enabled us to talk and see each other. 
     I kept personal diaries. Sometimes I thought I wrote so great, so philosophical, that I had to share them with the world. But the world had no way to know, at that time. 
     Sometimes at sunset, in my younger days, I was ecstatic.  I dreamed to have some device to catch the moment and share it. It was like a calling out, "This is the sunset I see. I would like you to see it, too, my friend. It is just beautiful!" 
     When I began to teach, sometimes I dreamed to share the joys of reading with my students. I dreamed to have something, something that could link us and the sources so that we could learn better, sharing thougthts and getting feedback immediately.  I dreamed of a world of intertexulization, more than texts, but with images, videos, and our own creations based on what we were learning.  
     When I did something great, when I encountered something unfair, when I felt lonely, when I left a place and people I loved, I felt my intense dream that the world should know it and responded.  Then I thought about other people. Do they have the same dream? Do they want their voice to be heard, stories to be read? 
     I had those dreams, dreams that Web 2.0 could help realize, but why these days  I just stopped dreaming when dreams are made possible? No, I will go on. With the little knowledge, with the nervousness,  overwhelmed, I still wish upon Web 2.0.   
    

Comments

  1. I'm intrigued by your mention of diaries. I'm reading a book right now that likens social media posts to diaries of the past. Did you know that diaries were always personal (written by and about the self), but not necessarily private? They were a means of recording what happened on a daily basis and sharing it with others. Hmm. I should blog about that topic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, interesting! To have known that diaries are personal but not private clarified my confusion. A case in point is the recent publication of Albert Eistein's diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darcey, you should consider being a full-time writer. I am in love with your writing! :) I agree with you, Journaling can be one of the most satisfying personal accomplishments when done correctly. Writing down personal thoughts and feelings can help free the mind, unleash creativity, and give time for reflection. Those who haven't kept a journal, they might not know. I think that journaling might be the most underrated activity that could boost your productivity and well-being in just a few minutes a day. Other than using the social media, here are some journaling tools that you might want to explore: 1) JRNL: is a website and free mobile app that makes keeping a personal record easy and convenient. The app’s well-designed interface allows users to write as much text as they’d like and includes the ability to upload photos to enrich individual entries. 2) Day One Journal: is another popular journaling app that offers an easy-to-use interface across iPhone, iPad, and other iOS platforms. 3) Pass it on: is a new digital storytelling platform that makes telling your family story easy by allowing users to build stories using text, video, audio, and photos. What social media tools and other apps do you use frequently? Have you used any of them for teaching? Would love to hear your thoughts. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diwanji, thank you so much for your encouragement for journaling. I once kept journals almost everyday, especially in college, but now I often feel to busy to do it. Once I write, I do feel my mind is free and meanwhile highly reflective. It might be a good idea for me to use one of the Apps you have recommended. The convenience of the journaling app might increase my productivity and makes writing journals more fun.

      Delete
  4. Me too. I always needed a place talk about my ideas, concerns, impression, an so on. I just started my personal blog to do this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Finding a place for the Self is important for one's well-being.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading this post as many points that you brought up are relatable from reflecting on what a big shift it has been before Web 2.0 until now. On another note, I also enjoy the heading font you chose-- rhis lettering works well with the webpage theme layout of your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lurking: In the Perspective of Self-Determinnation Theory

Sustaining Online Learning Communities Through Constructive Controversy